Friday, September 14, 2012
Reflection on Class Two
So far the class has been going great. I like that it is more of a discussion based class where we share ideas, rather then a professor standing at the room and reading notes off of a screen. I feel this is going to make me remember more information from the class. I also enjoyed hearing the different answers when we were asked to define Technology and Educational Technology in our own words. There were many different outlooks and we learned that there is no clear definition to the word "technology". I also enjoyed the videos that we saw. The one of the children made me think... While technology and iPads are great, great teaching resources, it makes me wonder...has technology made us lazy as parents? I know my two month old daughter likes to be pointed towards the tv. The lights and colors entertain her. While it may be harmless now, am I doing her a disjustice in the long run? I grew up on books and more books. I want my daughter to be a reader, not a TV watcher. My parents used to turn off the TV and make us go out and play outside. Living in an apartment, I don't have that luxury. Will my daughter be a slave to the TV? I don't think so. It makes me wonder about the children learning sight words on the iPad, reading with the iPad. Where is the teacher, the parents, why can't someone read the child an actual book? The children in the video were not "reading along to a book" on the iPad, the iPad was reading it TO them. Will that really build their reading skills? I guess only the future will let us know...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think what you mentioned about the iPad being the teacher, rather a teacher or parent teaching skills to children, is very interesting! It is so easy these days for parents to let the television, computers, phones, video games, etc. to serve as rewards for children, or to act as babysitters. I believe in all things in moderation. I don't have any children of my own, but when I babysit some young children, I usually let them play an educational game on my phone for about ten minutes during a transitional period. I sit next to them the whole time and talk to them throughout the game. Once the game is over, I take it away and we find something else to play. I feel like I have some sort of control at that point, and it fulfills a child's want/need for technology.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoy the discussions that we share in class. I'm often a shy person but for some reason I feeling willing to participate in this class. I learned various aspects to the term "technology" as well.
ReplyDeleteAs for the use of technology and television, I also find it hard to decide whether or not the use of television and technologies such as iphones or ipads may be too much for the young ones. But seeing how much the young children learn out of educational programs and educational games on the ipads, I think it is opening their mind for a world of information that we weren't introduced to at such a young age. I'm sure there should be a limit to the use of these technologies but the question, "where to draw the line?" is indeed a hard question to answer.