Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Class Three

Although I missed class this week due to illness, I read chapter three and found many things important.  Firstly, I was happy to read about FairTest on page 72 of the text.  I am very against standardized testing in the way it is being used today.  I feel that students DO need aptitude tests to see how they stand in comparison to others, however, I feel standardized tests are misused by the school system.  Children are threatened that if they fail the tests they will be left back or not graduate.  Children, especially elementary age, do not need to be so frightened by school.  By putting so much emphasis on the tests, students and teachers lose sight of what is really important- learning.  FairTest claims to be an "assessment reform advocacy organization".  Their job is to evaluate standardized tests and make sure they are effective.  In regards to testing, I also agree with Popham's view stated on page 74-- We need better tests rather than no tests at all.  The tests we have in place today are scare tactics to scare children into studying harder and scare teachers into teaching by a school-appointed textbook.  Where is the fun? Creativity? Where are the tangents and spur of the moment conversations in the classroom?  Those things are lacking in todays elementary schools.

Two Questions I have for this week:
1) What are some ways we can incorporate non-computer technology into the classroom? Ex- Audio/video tape, Cameras/ camcorders, ect.

2) Are there any websites for teachers to share their lesson plans, if there is, do teachers use it or do they keep their ideas to themselves?

1 comment:

  1. Helaina,

    "Where is the fun? Creativity? Where are the tangents and spur of the moment conversations in the classroom? Those things are lacking in today's elementary schools."


    In child psychology, I remember learning about "teachable moments," when children are basically curious and interested, or the time is clearly right for them to acquire new knowledge and/or skills. One of my favorite words, "serendipity," is when you are seeking something yet along your journey, stumble along something completely different that is worthwhile.

    I think these are important components for students because everybody knows that learning is more fun when it's on our own terms. Students should have the freedom to express interest and to seek out new knowledge. Generating questions is a very useful skill to exercise in life. If a students curiosity is nurtured, then so is their enjoyment and openness to learning.

    I think that discussing current events with the class is a great way to foster these types of discussions. I'm sure they will come up during many other types of discussions, as well. However, maybe by starting off the day with a current event, students will have various questions that could lead to "tangents," and learning on their own terms. Setting aside this time for students may help set the stage for an interactive learning environment (classroom management) in which students will feel comfortable to engage, share their thoughts, ask questions, etc. thus becoming active participants in the learning process as opposed to passive participants.

    I am not a teacher yet, so I have little experience with the kind of time management issues I am about to face, but I do promise to nurture my students in a way that they will be encouraged to learn more about anything they are curious about. How can I expect them to learn only what I want them to learn? That's no fun!

    I found a website that prepares teachers for "teachable moments" in the classroom (some of these moments can be tough...

    "TeachableMoment's mission is to help teachers looking for ways to encourage critical thinking on issues of the day, as well as foster a positive classroom environment. Our approach is to integrate social and emotional skills with an exploration of interesting and relevant content."

    http://morningsidecenter.org/teachable-moment/lessons?field_area_tid=All&field_topic_tid=All&field_grade_level_tid=3&feed_me=

    ReplyDelete