This week was a good lesson on technology for me. During the storm, I was sitting in my parents den, watching TV and feeding my daughter. When the flood waters started to creep up the grass in my backyard, I figured we were safe because my parents bought a generator...we would never lose power. At 10:15, my fiancee was complaining because the television kept interrupting his DVR version of Dexter and my mom was mad the Internet kept kicking her offline. Forty-five minutes later, that same room, TV and computer were submerged in water that took over two floors of their house. With no lights, no TV, no computer, dying cellphones with no way to charge we were at a loss for what to do. We have no coping skills, no survival skills, no way of communicating to other family members.
Thankfully, my favorite TV show is called Revolution. It is the first season it is on and the premise of the show begins with a "Blackout". All over the world, electronic devices shut off, no cars, planes, tv, lights...nothing technology based works. The show then follows the different characters as they have to learn how to survive as colonists once did. Since I started watching this show, it really made me realize how much we rely on technology and what I would do if that ever happened to us.
Apparently my thinking came in handy. After the lights went out that Monday, I filled up whatever I could find with clean water, collected candles and matches and tried to keep everyone calm.
Technology maybe important in my life, but I won't let it take over my WHOLE life.
No comments:
Post a Comment