For my group assignment, we are looking at the ways technology has changed in the classroom. We are specifically looking at the difference between using a Smartboard vs. the older Whiteboard (blackboard) methods. Some educators are resistant to the technological advances in the classroom for various reasons. Some feel that technology makes students "lazy" in their reading and writing skills because it is becoming harder to focus on the written word. Therefore I was interested to see the "Child's Story Dictation Using Speech Recognition Software" on page 288. The student dictated their story to the computer which used voice recognition software to translate it into written word. The student was shocked to see that the computer's output was totally incorrect. The student then had to go back over the printout, reread the story and add proper punctuation, capitalization and fix word confusion. In my opinion, this is a MORE effective way to teach a student to edit their work. I know that personally, if I spell a word incorrectly a million times, I might not notice, but if I see it printed wrong in the form of written text, I will notice it immediately.
I also was interested in the section on pages 290-291 about the advantages and disadvantages of digital storybooks. Many teachers with Smartboard technologies in the classroom are relying more and more on the digital storybook. One thing mentioned in the book that teachers may overlook is that students understanding about what is taking place may be hindered by the moving pictures. If the words are printed alongside an animation, students are hardly likely to follow the written word, instead focusing on the animation.
I am completing my practicum hours in a 1st grade classroom that often uses digital storybooks during reading instruction. The students are really motivated by listening to a story and looking at the pictures, but I too often wonder if they really are reading a highlighted text as the computer is reading the words. We ask a load of comprehension questions after every two or three pages, so we know the students are getting the idea of the story, but reading the words is even more important.
ReplyDelete