Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reflection on Class Seven

I found today's class very helpful when discussing the ideas for webquest!  I started working on mine during free time we had in class.  Watching the video about the Dino Dig involving the elementary students was particularly helpful.  I am glad June showed us the webquests in action so I could see how to better model my own.  I am hoping that the interviewed teacher was right, she said that her first webquest took her three days to create and now she can come up with them in a matter of hours.  It seems to be an engaging way to get students to focus and organize their research and I would like to put it into play in my future classrooms. 

I am finding the textbook to be very useful in my everyday life as well as in preparing lesson plans.  Table 7.1- Open Source Alternatives to Popular Commercial Software Applications is extremely helpful to me.  In my house, my laptop is an older model PC with a dead battery and it needs to stay plugged into the wall until I get a new battery.  My fiancees computer is a lightweight MAC which I use on occasion to do schoolwork from the couch or the bedroom so I can be closer to the baby.  I am not a MAC user and I know his computer does not have Microsoft Office or Word, therefore I cannot type papers from it. Now that I see other word processing programs that are available, I may be able to download those to make my schoolwork easier to complete.

I was also surprised to see that I remember the program KidPix in the back of my brain.  I had used this program back in my elementary school days in the MAC lab in my school.  We had about 25 of the old square MACs and we used KidPix and played games like Number Munchers.  It's good to see the oldie computer games that I learned on 20 years ago are still being updated today.

No comments:

Post a Comment